I LOVE putting fruit in salad.
There are probably people out there who hate it and think I’m nuts for this, but honestly, if you haven’t tried it yet, you should.
Apple, pear, strawberry, orange… they all add a touch of sweetness and a splash of colour, and can really make a “regular” salad something special.
I first tried watermelon salad at a little Spanish restaurant in Soho a couple of years ago, and the idea’s stayed with me ever since.
It’s sweet, refreshing, and utterly yum when you mix it with peppery rocket (arugula), salty feta, crunchy pine nuts, and tart balsamic dressing.
(PLUS IT’S SUPER PRETTY. LOOK.)
I’m working with Newman’s Own this month, creating four super simple salad recipes for summertime eating, and I’m SO excited to share them with you!
Each recipe features one of their yummy salad dressings, and all the recipes are perfect for sharing with friends and family at barbecues, picnics, or even a sunny garden party. (Unless you’re in England. In which case it may have to be a rainy garden party…)
The brand was actually created by Hollywood film star Paul Newman (Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid) in the 1980s. He used to make bottles of salad dressings as gifts for his neighbours, and it was so popular in the area that he decided to set it up as a company.
100% of the profits go to charity, and 35 years later, the company has donated over 2.8 million pounds to UK charities, and over 495 million US dollars worldwide. How awesome is that?!
Stay tuned over the next two weeks, as I’ll be posting recipes using their Ranch, Caesar and Italian dressings. But for now, I’m kicking things off with this recipe, which features Newman’s Own tangy Balsamic dressing!
The dressing is a Newman’s Own’s classic, made with oil and balsamic vinegar, then kicked up a notch with a medley of herbs: basil, oregano and parsley. The end result is sharp and bold, and works beautifully with the sweet watermelon.
Honestly, I’ve had this salad three times for dinner in the last 2 weeks and I can’t get over how good it is.
Even Gary was surprised at how much he liked it, and I think he thought I was going mad when I handed him a plate of watermelon, cheese, and greens! But it works.
Best of all? It’s super easy, and suuuuper quick to make. (And did I mention how pretty it looks?)
If you’re planning on making this for a party, and want to get everything sorted in advance, just chop up the watermelon the day before and keep it in the fridge (covered with clingfilm). Then throw everything together just before serving!
WATERMELON, FETA AND ROCKET SALAD WITH BALSAMIC DRESSING
INGREDIENTS (for two people – multiply as needed!)
- 1/4 small watermelon
- 4 handfuls of fresh rocket (arugula) leaves, washed (and dried)
- 4 tbsp of feta cheese
- 2 tbsp pine nuts (raw or toasted, your choice!)
- 2 tbsp Newman’s Own Balsamic Dressing*
1. Pop your rocket into a big salad bowl.
2. Carefully scoop the watermelon flesh out of its shell. Chop the fruit into rough bite-size pieces and remove any larger pips (the little black ones can stay!). Put the watermelon in the bowl with the rocket, along with any juice from the chopping board.
3. Drizzle the Balsamic Dressing over the watermelon and rocket, then use your hands to toss it all together, until everything is mixed and coated.
4. Crumble the feta cheese over the top of the salad.
5. Sprinkle over the pine nuts, and serve immediately.
MORE SALAD RECIPES:
*This post is sponsored by Newman’s Own.