I’m going to be entirely honest here: I have literally zero reasonable excuses about why I didn’t post this yesterday.
I just didn’t want to.
I sat down and my brain went: NOPE. NOT TODAY THANK YOU.
So we (my brain and I) spent a chilled day catching up on the New In section of ASOS. We read allllll the Buzzfeed articles, practised some French on Duolingo and then I went home, made prawn stirfry and watched Parks and Recreation with my boyfriend.
I tried to figure out the last time I had a full day with NO blog work – no emails or Instagrams or writing or editing or Snapchatting or spreadsheets – and found that I couldn’t actually remember when that was.
I love blogging, and I love social media, and the more I do it, the more I realise that this is what I want to do with my life. But I read this brilliant post by Rebecca yesterday, and it really struck a nerve: Can a dream job still be a pain in the arse?
(Spoiler: the answer is yes.)
Sometimes I forget that you can have the best, dreamiest, most perfect-for-you job in the world… but there are still bad days. Days that make you want to kick something, moments that make you want to cry and even duties and aspects of the job that you kinda dislike.
But what I’ve realised is that I’m still learning. I’m not the most business-savvy, but I’m figuring it out as I go. And I’m trying to teach myself to be kinder to myself about that.
And hey, it seems to have worked! I’m back feeling all creative and excited again.
So here are 10 things that have made me happy this week!
1. Brunch with the birthday girls. The service at Made Kitchen was SHOCKING, but the unlimited waffles, stellar company and extra hours of free booze totally made up for it. Happy birthday Charlie and Erica!
2. Parks and Rec. I’m still obsessed, and it’s still making me laugh like a hyena at every episode.
3. Chicken saag. I made a chicken and spinach curry for dinner on Sunday and it was pretty spectacular if I do say so myself. Realised in retrospect that I should have taken photos so I could post the recipe on here but I forgot. So I guess I’ll just HAVE to make it AGAIN… Quelle tragedy non?
4. Wicked. God I love this show. I’ve seen it 3 times and it never gets old. I’ve got a longer post about this going up this week at some point, but basically: TodayTix sent Charlie and I to the theatre for her birthday and I laughed and I cried and I REALLY LOVE MY FRIENDS A LOT.
5. My kitchen sink. Yes, I do realise how bizarre this one is. But our new kitchen faces south and has the BEST light in the early evening. I’ve dotted a herb pot, a candle and some avocados in a bowl on the windowsill and am kind of love doing the washing up at the moment… (WHO EVEN AM I.)
6. Career chats. Is there anything better than conversations with people who just GET it? Charlie and I had a long chat about careers and motivation and future plans, and it just made me grin like an idiot.
7. This Hannah Gale list. I have lonnnng been a fan of HG’s blog. I remember my friend sending me the link to her first viral post a few years back, and have been reading ever since. Then I met her at the Blogger’s Blog Awards last year and she is just as lovely in person. And now she’s only gone and put me in her latest list post about girls killing it on the internet, and I may or may not have done a little happy jig on the sofa when I read it last night. I am the least cool of all people but there you go. Totally made my day.
8. Window shopping. Payday isn’t until next week, but Charlie and I had a (long) wander around Zara on Friday and my wishlist is as long as my arm. If anyone’s wondering what to get me for my birthday: this green leather jacket will do nicely. Tah.
9. Pork gyoza. Charlie and I (so much Charlie in this post!) popped into the Jamie Oliver Cookery School on Friday and spent a couple of hours learning the art of Japanese cooking. My favourite was definitely the pork gyoza, and I’m excited to try them out at home. I wasn’t expecting them to be so EASY!
10. Cosy morning. Gary went up North for the weekend so I had a lovely lazy Sunday lie-in, all cosied up with our fluffy duvet, a cup of coffee and my book. Blissful.
And on Saturday it’s the Bloggers Blog Awards ceremony! Charlie, Emma and I are driving up to Leeds together for the weekend and I’m really really reaaaaally looking forward to it.
Hope you all have a wonderful one too – and make sure you eat something delicious!
SIGN UP NOW TO RECEIVE ALL MY LATEST NEWS AND UPDATES STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!